World Water Week is the leading conference on global water issues and in 2021 it will be held as a digital event 23-27 August. The Week attracts participants from more than 130 countries and with many different professional backgrounds. World Water Week is a non-profit event, co-created together with leading organizations. It offers an unusual mix of participants and perspectives, with sessions on a broad array of water-related topics, ranging from food security and health, to agriculture, technology, biodiversity, and the climate crisis.
With a focus on collaboration and shared learning, World Water Week is an important catalyst for change and attracts leading researchers, decision-makers, business representatives, NGOs, students, and international organizations. We try to create a welcoming and informal atmosphere where it is easy to get to know people and collaborate on solving real-world problems. The Week attracts many decision-makers who come here to get new inspiration and form alliances that can influence other international processes such as the global climate talks.
World Water Week – Overview
- Sessions are curated by SIWI but held by other organizations after a call for proposals.
- Each year has a specific theme, usually related to the UN’s World Water Day theme.
- The theme is described in the Thematic Scope, written by the distinguished water experts in the Scientific Programme Committee, which also organizes seminars.
- World Water Week aims to link scientific understanding with policy and decision-making provide concrete solutions to water, environmental and development challenges.
- To address these challenges, we need many different perspectives. We welcome participants from many different backgrounds and sectors societies.
- World Water Week awards outstanding achievements and is closely linked to the prestigious Stockholm Water Prize with the royal award ceremony taking place during the week. The exciting finals of the Stockholm Junior Water Prize competition are also part of World Water Week.