Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a newly discovered coronavirus. Most people who fall sick with COVID-19 will experience mild to moderate symptoms and recover without special treatment.
The virus that causes COVID-19 is mainly transmitted through droplets generated when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or exhales. These droplets are too heavy to hang in the air, and quickly fall on floors or surfaces. You can be infected by breathing in the virus if you are within close proximity of someone who has COVID-19, or by touching a contaminated surface and then your eyes, nose or mouth.
To curtail the spread and protect yourself, practice this simple hygiene:
- Use tissue while sneezing
- Stop touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Avoid traveling unnecessarily
- Stay at home if you are at high risk
- Use face mask if you go out
- Wash your hands frequently with soap
- Avoid crowded and public places
- Stay safe at all times
WHO COVID-19 Information Centre: https://covid19.who.int/